After a long day at the office, I came home and took a much needed nap on the couch. I felt fine until around 10:30PM when it was time to get some sleep before work the next day. I took my nightly medicines and within 15 minutes I started throwing up. I hadn't had any morning sickness thus far through the pregnancy, just a little naseau so I assumed maybe that was the problem.
I finally went to sleep around 11PM but woke up woke up around 1AM. I couldn't get comfortable and the cyst pain was back. After about 2 hours, Zeus came to join me on the couch. I honestly think he was my night in shining armor because petting him kept me from thinking about how bad the pain really was. I tried to sleep but was completely unsuccessful. The pain was horrible and thanks to constantly throwing up, I couldn't keep any pain medication down.
Patrick was sound asleep in the bedroom and I didn't want to wake him because I knew it was going to be a long day. Since the ER was pretty much a waste of time the week before, I decided to tough it out until 8AM when my doctors office opened.
Finally the clock struck 8AM and I called my doctors office to see if they could get me in. They told me I needed to come in immediately so we got around and were there by 8:30AM. Unfortunately the naseau continued and I kept throwing up while we were at the doctors office.
After about an hour and a half, I finally saw my doctor and he was able to do an ultrasound. It confirmed my worst fear. The cyst had caused my ovary to flip over and he couldn't see any blood flow to my ovary. This meant we needed to do emergency surgery.
He called over the ER and let them know I was on my way. I threw up more in the parking lot and even in the street while Patrick was trying to drive me the couple miles to the hospital. After getting checked in and having the first nurse screw up my IV, I finally got two of the most amazing nurses ever. Stephanie was able to get the IV in and my blood drawn and Jamie hooked me up with some morphine for the incredible amount of pain. For those of you wondering, yes it is perfectly safe for the baby at this stage in my pregnancy. Even in all of my pain, I made sure :-)
![]() |
| The Cross Stephanie gave me. The volunteers at the hospital make them and she gives them to patients in pain :-) |
They sent me off to get an ultrasound to check on the cyst and the baby. During this ultrasound she was able to see a little bit of blood flow to my ovary. The baby was still hanging tough as well. All of this was great news!
I went back to the room and waited for surgery. Originally they were going to try and do surgery before 2:30PM but it got pushed back to 3:30PM. I was in a lot of pain again so they gave me some more morphine and I was able to relax for just over a half hour. Then the pain came back in full force. They tried to give me morphine two more times to no avail.
Thankfully my amazing husband was there to help calm me down. Between the extreme amount of pain I was in (going on hour 13+) and the horrific cotton mouth that I couldn't have any water for, I was losing my cool. Jamie helped by getting me two ice packs, one for my pelvis and one for my back because both were just throbbing and even put a pillow under my legs. Patrick started rubbing my right arm and talking to me to try and calm me down. He also put on some Reggae music that reminded me of our honeymoon and I finally fell asleep for a half hour.
When I woke up, they were coming in to take me into surgery. At this point, I was willing to do anything to get this pain to stop. I had to sign off on the possibility of them taking my right ovary and fallopian tube but they were hoping to just untangle them and drain the cyst. The thought of losing those when I just turned 28 and we don't have any kiddos yet, was terrifying.
They finally wheeled me back to surgery and started putting me under. This process without the use of anti-anxiety medication (these can cause birth defects) was pretty scary. They had someone trying to hold an oxygen mask over my face and I wanted no part of that. After three times of me pulling it off my face, they finally agreed to just let it hover until I was out.
Just before I was out, I started crying because all of the "what if's" were running through my head. What if I lose the baby? What if they have to take my ovary and fallopian tube? What if I don't wake up? It's a lot to take in! Thankfully just then Dr. Stevens walked in and asked me why I was scared and grabbed my hand. I told him everything and then I don't remember anything else. That small gesture of taking my hand is something I will always remember because it was exactly what I needed at that moment and Patrick was in the waiting room already.
When I finally woke up after surgery, I was told that they didn't have to take my ovary or fallopian tube... whew! Although the blood flow was minimal and they were both very swollen, they were able to save both. They went in through my belly button and another incision about 2-3 inches below it and were able to drain the cyst and untangle everything.
![]() |
| My very swollen stomach & incisions. You can't really see the one in my belly button but believe me it's there! |
They brought in a sonogram machine and the baby was doing wonderfully. He/she is definitely a fighter and the heart rate was 166. Just after 6PM they released me and I was finally able to go home after the longest and scariest day of my life.
One last thing to note, because I don't know where else to make sure I include this, going into the surgery I thought I was 8weeks 5days but based on the ultrasound it's looking like I was closer to 9weeks 1day.
![]() |
| The balloon and flowers my amazing girl Jane sent me |
![]() |
| Zeus checking out everyone outside while I was scanning my disability forms |
![]() |
| My snuggle buddy |
![]() |
| The best little dog around |
![]() |
| Gosh he's so cute! |







No comments:
Post a Comment